On 21st December 2014, the Prime Minister announced the formation of a new Australian Government Department of Education and Training to replace the former Department of Education. This department is responsible for national policies and programmes on early childhood education, school education, higher education, vocational education and training, international education and research, including Skills responsibilities which had previously come under the Department of Industry.
Former Commonwealth departments responsible for education and training were:
- 2013-2014: Department of Education and Department of Industry
- 2011-2013: Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) and Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIICCSRTE);
- 2007-2011: Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR);
- 2001-2007: Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST);
- 1998-2001: Department of Education, Training and Youth Affairs (DETYA);
- 1996-1998: Department of Employment, Education, Training and Youth Affairs (DEETYA);
- 1987-1996: Department of Employment, Education and Training (DEET).